Luxury and sustainability can work together with beautiful results and Hotel Terra proves it. First in a collection of “eco-boutique” hotels launched by the Terra Resort Group, this 72 room Hotel is located in Jackson Hole, Wyoming. Exceptional amenities and services are combined with eco-friendly practices that go above and beyond LEED criteria. Sustainable luxury is being pushed to new heights.
Ashley Morgan, the Corporate Director of Sustainability, is responsible for choosing and managing vendors and products used at Hotel Terra. Instead of merely choosing one of the many manufacturers offering 100% organic cotton linens, she interviewed vendors and sampled the products. Ultimately Coyuchi was decided to be used based on the company’s sustainable business practices and philosophies, in addition to the luxurious quality of the product. Even the smallest products are reviewed by Morgan to ensure Hotel Verra stays true to their mission and philosophy.
2. Low VOC (Volatile Organic Compound) carpets and pads, sealants, paint, and adhesives; this dramatically improves air quality.
3. More than 90% of the hotel interiors of our eco hotel capture natural daylight and have access to outdoor views.
4. State of the art, energy efficient heating and cooling systems, designed to customize temperature by individual zones in each hotel room or suite, limiting use to specific need.
5. Heating and cooling system also controlled by computerized building management system that allows hotel rooms to be powered down when not in use and calibrated for specific occupancy expectations.
6. Radiant heating in the flooring of the parking garage, which runs along the entire ground level of our green hotel, reducing direct heat loss and minimizing energy use.
7. Superior air quality inside the building by circulating large amounts of outside air into the guestrooms and employing energy recovery technology which recoups 81% of the heat from the exiting stale air. The system also controls the moisture content in the air.
8. Energy Star approved, extremely efficient windows, with Low E, a highly reflective coating that protects interiors from infrared light. This keeps heat inside during the winter and outside during the summer, reducing the need for energy used for supplemental heat or cooling.
9. Water conservation systems: dual flush toilets, low flow water fixtures, waterless urinals in Men’s public restrooms, solar powered faucets in public restrooms and native landscaping requiring no irrigation -accounts for a34% reduction in water use annually.
10. Natural Runoff Mitigation: runoff water at the building site is collected in an underground tank, filtered, and released at a drip back into the environment, reducing potential pollution flowing into rivers, streams, and surrounding land.
11. Fly ash, a coal burning byproduct, is used to replace up to 25% of the cement used in the concrete for our Jackson Hole eco hotel, reducing landfill disposal of solid waste, energy used to produce the concrete, and the use of natural resources that would otherwise be used in concrete.
12. Elimination of light pollution, avoiding disruption of nocturnal environment and migratory patterns.
13. Exclusive use of non-CFC producing refrigerants.
14. 100% of our electric power is offset with the purchase of alternative energy, including wind, solar and hydro sources.
15. 80% Recycled content in the steel used throughout the building structure.
16. Reduced particle pollution through use of off-site cutting, prefabricated walls manufactured in an enclosed shop.
17. Comprehensive In-room recycling program.
18. Compact Fluorescent Light bulbs used in the majority of the hotel fixtures.
19. 50% of construction waste was reused or recycled.
20. Use of technology, such as high performance touch screen telephones and Hi-Definition, Energy Star-approved flat screen TVs, wired with computer functionality, to reduce guest paper use.
21. Access to alternative or energy efficient transportation for guests and employees.
22. 100% organic cotton bed sheets, towels, bath mats, bathrobes.
23. Use of 100% organic products in the Chill Spa.
24. 100% natural mattresses: made from a combination of recycled steel springs, natural latex and organic cotton, each saves 60 lbs of petrochemicals from going in to the environment; mattress also uses natural saltwater-based flame retardant, protecting guests of our green hotel from exposure to hazardous toxic chemicals found in traditional mattresses.
25. Guest access to aluminum Hotel Terra water bottles and water stations for refills, reducing plastic water bottle use.
26. Refillable aluminum bottles with pumps for bathroom amenities such as shampoo, conditioner, and body wash to eliminate landfill accumulation of plastic bottles.
27. Food waste composting and management program, a pilot program by Terra Firma Organics of Jackson Hole, for Terra Cafe food waste.
28. Recycled seatbelts in Terra Cafe chairs; reclaimed lumber in lobby pillars; reused pickle barrel tops on all bconies; recycled glass in bathroom countertops; recycled skyscraper glass in bathroom soap dishes; bamboo wastebaskets, bathroom accessories, hangers.