As technology continues to grow around the planet consumers and companies are discovering we must be careful of their environmental impact. Many companies are changing their manufacturing techniques and designs. From their eco-friendly measures on the Apple iPhone 4 to the iPhone app developers creating green apps, Apple continues to lead the pack.
Apple Minimizes Carbon Footprint
The largest section (98%) of Apple’s carbon footprint due to the transportation, manufacturing, use, and recycling of their products. To help Apple determine where their greenhouse gas emissions were coming from they analyzed the life cycle of their products for the past three years. This allowed an accurate measure to learn how their company is impacting the environment and what they can do to offset those effects.
Eco-Friendly Apple iPhone 4
The new Apple iPhone 4 is the latest in eco-friendly technology and design. Here are a few reasons why the new iPhone is better than ever for our planet.
- Energy efficient power adapter and extended talk time (up to 14 hours on 2G or 7 hours on 3G)
- No Bromine in the printed circuit boards
- No Mercury in the LCD display
- No Arsenic in the glass display
Exceeding ENERGY STAR Specifications
Did you know that Apple is the only company in their industry who exceeds ENERGY STAR specifications on ALL of their products?
Always looking for ways to improve their environmental impact and lowering their carbon footprint, Apple has decreased their greenhouse gas emissions per dollar of revenue by 15.4% since 2008.
The majority of the changes were made in reducing the impact of the products’ themselves. Two of the most beneficial changes affect the materials being free of toxic substances, more recyclable, and more energy efficient. This also allows Apple to use less material and ship with smaller packaging.
Even iPhone Apps Continue Apple’s Approach to Lowering Carbon Footprints
Continuing the eco-friendly aspect of Apple, iPhone app developers are creating some wonderful programs to help monitor energy and gas use, lower carbon footprints, and much more! Even the simpler apps allowing people to take notes, typed or spoken, avoids more paper waste.
Blue Whale, an iPhone app developer is one company who understands the consumers’ desire to purchase the eco-friendly Apple iPhones and iPads. Developers who concentrate in a specific market are better able to manage the needs and desires of their clients. Companies looking to build their own mobile apps for iPhone should ensure they choose a quality developer with plenty of testimonials.
Here are the top 3 green iPhone apps to get ideas:
- Get Green ($0.99) – Receive simple tips every day to help you go more green in your daily life. This includes tips about how to be more green with your coffee to your wedding to your car wash.
- MeterRead ($2.99) – Keep a closer eye on your electric meter (and electric bill) to track how much energy you are consuming.
- Go Organic! (free) – Handy for the traveler, the Go Organic! app helps you locate healthy meals when you are out and about. This includes the nearest organic grocery stores.